Breaking up with sugar doesn’t have to be devastating. It can be like one of those breakups that’s kind of mutual, that feels necessary and totally OK. It all depends on how you approach it. You can make it hard for yourself, or you can make it easy.
Here are a few of the best ways to reduce sugar cravings and make eliminating sugar a piece of sugar-free cake!
- Licorice tea after meals – Naturally sweet, helps balance blood sugar, and it’s great for digestion.
- Strength in substitutions – Swap bread with slices of roasted sweet potato, pudding with chia and coconut milk, bananas with high fiber berries etc.
- Eat plenty of protein and fat – If your body’s been running off sugar for a while you need to give it a new fuel source to draw from. High-quality protein and saturated fats like coconut oil and ghee are great for stabilizing blood sugar levels and providing a valuable energy source.
- Embrace fiber – Eat plenty of fiber to stabilize your blood sugar levels. Greens, raw vegetables, berries, hemp seeds, flax seeds etc. are all great sources of healthy fiber.
- Make your water exciting – If you’re used to sugary drinks, try making your water more fun. I like to add sliced cucumber, lemon, orange, grapefruit, strawberry, blueberry, or make a strong tea and drink that over ice.
- My fave supplements for curbing sugar cravings – When my sugar cravings are really coming on strong I like to take one of the following supplements: chromium picolinate, l-glutamine, 5-HTP, or inulin extract.
- Make your own chocolate – Chocolate is comforting and has lots of healthy qualities. It’s easy to make your own with raw cacao powder, coconut oil, and stevia or xylitol for a natural sweetener. Check out the recipe below for inspiration.
1 ½ cups dairy-free milk or water
½ cup fresh or frozen cherries
1 cup spinach
⅛ cup raw cacao powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Dash of cayenne
Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. You may also choose to sweeten any of the smoothie recipes with stevia.
I believe in treating your body so well it has no choice but to return the love! I’ve created The Delicious Life Meal Plan System and The Sweet Life Program for women. It’s my mission for women across the world to embrace a High Vibe Life. Please join me for a Free Saturday Morning Webinar Stop being a Sugar Addict. Register HERE